May 28, 2008

MR Bucket Refits

I got a Master Replicas bucket! Finally, I can replace my FX one with something more accurate. Now, I'm not the biggest person on screen accuracy, but I do have to say that it is a good thing to strive for. This helmet is a lot more accurate, and overall, it looks a lot better. However, there are some things that I need to do to it first.

Lenses - Lenses have to be replaced with these. They're green, which isn't a problem, but they're very thin and you can see the wearer's eyes. I've since bought replacement lenses, which are thicker, but also gray (I'm not a fan of the green look). I screwed them in and it looks pretty good, they fit very well.

Seam - The biggest drawback is that there's a seam along the front of the helmet, and that needed to be filled in. I bought some caulk last night and started working on filling the crack in a little. I found that it helps to tape up the front a little so that you don't make too much of a mess, and that several coats of caulk might be needed. I did this in stages, filling it in a bit, smoothing, then letting it dry before doing it again. I'll do another coat tonight just to get the last little bit out. It's a little noticeable, but not a whole lot, so once that's over with, I'm done.

Decals - Decals are good except for the side vents, which are gray, and they need to be blue. I didn't get to it last night, but tonight, I'll put on the more accurate ones that I got.

After this, I'm going to work out how to put the fan and speaker in. Because this is a bit of a smaller helmet, there's less space (the FX has a TON of space in it). I think I also need to add in a little more padding to make it fit to my head better. Other than that, it's off to a pretty good start!

No comments: