May 6, 2008

May the Fourth was with them at Star Wars convention

The UK Garrison make the pictures for this small UK Star Wars convention:

May the Fourth was with them at Star Wars convention
By Catherine Pye



THE force was with hundreds of Star Wars fans as East Lancashire staged its first convention for the iconic movie series.
The event at Clayton Park Conference Centre was organised by enthusiast Neil Livesey.
R2D2 actor Kenny Baker, from Preston, was the star turn.
Neil, 47, who runs his own double glazing company, said: "I've been a Star Wars fan since I was 17.
"I've been to a lot of conventions, but I've had to travel to places like London.
"There's never been anything round here, so I decided I would have a go."
Neil dressed up in a £600 Darth Vader outfit, complete with a light-sabre.
He said: "Some kids get frightened by it, but as soon as you wave at them, they're okay.
"Most people just want to have their photo taken.
"I'm very pleased with the turnout. It was aimed at hardened fans, but we have been giving tickets to schools, so it's good to see a lot of children."
During the convention the Star Wars theme tune was played and a film was screened on one wall.
Ian Parker, 37, from The Wirral is a professional costume maker and dressed in his own Storm Trooper outfit, which costs £1,500 to buy.
He goes to conventions every weekend and has set up costuming clubs Rebel Legion and The 99th Imperial Garrison, where fans of the good and bad characters meet to discuss topics. "For me there's nothing like it," he said.
Chris Eckersall, 29, from Accrington wore a Chewbacca outfit made by Ian.
He said: "It's incredibly warm in here. I'm a massive Star Wars fan and I'm dressed like this as a favour for a friend. It's the first time and will be the last!
"People want me to pose for pictures with them, but when it comes to signing autographs, it's difficult wearing this."
Max Anderson-Hopkins, 15, from Roe Lee in Blackburn, dressed as Anakin Skywalker.
The Pleckgate High School pupil said: "I'm really into Star Wars.
"It takes up a lot of my time. The convention here has been really good."
Fans queued for an hour to meet 3ft 8in actor Baker, who became a star in 1977 when he took on the role of R2D2 in the first Star Wars film.
He continued the role in five of the six films made.



No comments: